One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Congenital narrowing of a short section of the aorta.
- ‘The aortic arch was not hypoplastic, and no evidence for coarctation was noted.’
- ‘In all likelihood the coarctation was present at birth.’
- ‘Peripheral pulses (radial and femoral) also should be measured for rate and rhythm and to rule out coarctation of the aorta.’
- ‘These anomalies include patent ductus arteriosus, vascular ring, and coarctation of aorta.’
- ‘The coarctation forces the heart to pump harder to get blood through the aorta and on to the rest of your body.’
- ‘Now he had a coarctation of the aorta and would probably need major surgery.’
Late Middle English: from Latin coarctatio(n-), from the verb coarctare (see coarctate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.