One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- see scuttle
- ‘The document listed coal scuttles, pokers, grates, and fenders, but only one set of andirons.’
- ‘In the front room is a scattering of copper bowls of various sizes, copper coal scuttles, metal templates and copper sheets.’
- ‘But kids had much fun fighting over who was to wash-up, change napkins, make beds, peel spuds, run errands, chop firewood, fill the coal scuttle, and black lead the grate.’
- ‘Glad to read you won't have to fight with the coal scuttle anymore.’
- ‘Naturally it has the heritage decor that comes with the genre: dark wood, theatrical red, brazenly swirly carpets, brass coal scuttles and Quality Street faux Victoriana prints.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.