One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An excavation in the earth for extracting coal.
- ‘The state-owned coal mine has more than 3,400 employees and produces 2.3 million tons of coal a year.’
- ‘When Haessle was fourteen years old, he started to work in a coal mine.’
- ‘The wind turbine will replace both the coal mine and the oil well.’
- ‘A short distance from the coal mine, two rows of cramped houses face each other divided by a small dusty road.’
- ‘In Centralia, Pennsylvania, a fire in a coal mine has been burning for over 40 years.’
- ‘In the area where I live, there were generous redundancy payments when the coal mines closed.’
- ‘Two predatory chancers wander the casual labour markets in large towns and persuade individuals to accompany them to find work in unregulated coal mines.’
- ‘The creek began running the color of old blood, poisoned by acids and heavy metals leached from the coal mines.’
- ‘He was born in Ostrava, an industrial city six hours east of Prague, and grew up in the midst of its coal mines in a family of six children.’
- ‘Jack, the elder, works at the coal mine and is admired by his pals for his defiant attitude.’
- ‘While methane in coal mines is responsible for unintentional explosions, it can be a substitute for natural gas.’
- ‘Piles of black slag marked the entrances to small coal mines.’
- ‘Following thousands of emigrants pouring into the United States and Canada, they settled in western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh's coal mines and steel mills.’
- ‘One of his major enterprises was a coal mine.’
- ‘Coal production rose 9.1 percent as the country invested 86.1 percent more in coal mines.’
- ‘Official figures show that 4,153 people died from coal mine accidents from January to September.’
- ‘In addition to working in the Yorkshire mills, many Scotsmen found employment in nearby coal mines, where their dogs were welcome as exterminators.’
- ‘Gas power plants wiped out jobs in British coal mines.’
- ‘France closed its last coal mine in 2004.’
- ‘Methane is already captured from coal mines and landfills in the United States and used to generate electricity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.