One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that causes blood or another liquid to coagulate.
- ‘A little sour whey or other coagulant is added after the heating to help form the second lot of curd, which is then skimmed off.’
- ‘Powdered seeds added to water act as a coagulant, binding to murk and bacteria, then sinking to the bottom.’
- ‘Organic coagulants are favored over inorganic ones now.’
- ‘Biocides, coagulants, and corrosion inhibitors are the leading products used in the petroleum market.’
- ‘The coagulant helps settle out all the heavy metals and other suspended solids.’
- ‘The exception, rennet, is an animal based coagulant often used in cheese-making.’
- ‘The doctor managed to stop the bleeding by using a coagulant, still unapproved by the American Food and Drug Administration, which he has since used to treat several other bomb-blast victims.’
- ‘Always have on hand one of the antiseptic coagulants which you can purchase through any pet supply manufacturer for your dog.’
- ‘Virtually every major type of water treatment chemical is used by the pulp and paper industry; coagulants and corrosion inhibitors are the two leading product families.’
- ‘It plans to place great emphasis on wound coagulant products and tumour control applications.’
- ‘And then David also had a silent risk factor, an inherited blood coagulant disorder that was only discovered after the autopsy was performed.’
- ‘The chemical/petroleum processing industry is a heavy user of water treatment chemicals, ranging from corrosion inhibitors to coagulants / flocculants.’
- ‘For example, chemical coagulants are used in conjunction with physical filtration processes.’
- ‘To assist in removal of smaller suspended solids, chemical coagulants are added to the system to help clump these particles together so they can be captured by the filters.’
Late 18th century: from Latin coagulant- ‘curdling’, from the verb coagulare (see coagulate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.