One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that causes blood or another liquid to coagulate.
- ‘Virtually every major type of water treatment chemical is used by the pulp and paper industry; coagulants and corrosion inhibitors are the two leading product families.’
- ‘The coagulant helps settle out all the heavy metals and other suspended solids.’
- ‘The chemical/petroleum processing industry is a heavy user of water treatment chemicals, ranging from corrosion inhibitors to coagulants / flocculants.’
- ‘Biocides, coagulants, and corrosion inhibitors are the leading products used in the petroleum market.’
- ‘For example, chemical coagulants are used in conjunction with physical filtration processes.’
- ‘To assist in removal of smaller suspended solids, chemical coagulants are added to the system to help clump these particles together so they can be captured by the filters.’
- ‘The exception, rennet, is an animal based coagulant often used in cheese-making.’
- ‘Powdered seeds added to water act as a coagulant, binding to murk and bacteria, then sinking to the bottom.’
- ‘Always have on hand one of the antiseptic coagulants which you can purchase through any pet supply manufacturer for your dog.’
- ‘The doctor managed to stop the bleeding by using a coagulant, still unapproved by the American Food and Drug Administration, which he has since used to treat several other bomb-blast victims.’
- ‘Organic coagulants are favored over inorganic ones now.’
- ‘A little sour whey or other coagulant is added after the heating to help form the second lot of curd, which is then skimmed off.’
- ‘It plans to place great emphasis on wound coagulant products and tumour control applications.’
- ‘And then David also had a silent risk factor, an inherited blood coagulant disorder that was only discovered after the autopsy was performed.’
Late 18th century: from Latin coagulant- ‘curdling’, from the verb coagulare (see coagulate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.