One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An outbuilding in which a carriage is or was kept.
- ‘Seven years ago she moved her two teenage children and her dog out of the large family home they shared with her husband into a coach house in Surrey.’
- ‘The garden is also home to a detached coach house that currently provides twin garages, a workshop, a laundry, a WC and a first floor playroom-cum-office.’
- ‘A two-storey coach house behind the Lime Tree pub is also due to be demolished.’
- ‘They have outlined plans to transform the coach house into a tourist centre which will incorporate a craft shop, tea-rooms, a gallery and a furniture manufacturing unit.’
- ‘It's good that the coach house is being put to good use, even though the horses are long gone.’
- ‘It is proposing to convert the existing main building into four flats and only to demolish the former coach house, a detached single-storey building.’
- ‘As well as the coach house, the property includes an old English store barn, a two-span hay barn, pony stables and a garden shed.’
- ‘It was a coach house, which I suppose would have permitted passing coaches to change horses and so on.’
- ‘The property comes with several outbuildings including a two-storey coach house, two pigeon houses and a stable yard.’
- ‘The family used their insurance payout to restore and live in a small coach house adjoining the main property.’
- ‘She and her husband converted the coach house but he had died by the time this was finished.’
- ‘Outside, a courtyard to the rear of the house includes a range of traditional stone buildings, five loose boxes, fuel stores, a workshop and a former coach house which is in a state of disrepair.’
- ‘There is a coach house with stables, a tennis court and a number of other outbuildings’
- ‘It was a Victorian house with a lovely sloping garden and a coach house attached.’
- ‘The project began with the sale of the church's old meeting hall, which was housed in a dilapidated coach house at the vicarage.’
- ‘There is also a range of stone outbuildings including a coach house, two garages, a workshop and log store.’
- ‘I arrived first at the restaurant, which has been imaginatively converted from a coach house into a high roofed modern interior with a mezzanine for more private dining.’
- ‘The business has diversified into accommodation, and the brothers now own a coach house hotel on Skye.’
- ‘It had a little coach house attached to the garage.’
- ‘The pub opened in 1674 and was originally a coach house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.