One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Own (something) jointly.
- ‘She co-owns the record store (with her fiancée, the clerk), plays with local favorites Cloverhoney, books bands at the Main across the street and is now releasing her own solo album.’
- ‘Last night, one of the applicants, Nathan Lee, who co-owns the land, told the meeting the plan was not for a travellers' site as the application states but for a private site.’
- ‘He is a well-dressed, impeccably coiffed, university-educated 27-year-old who co-owns a computer and video business in Iraq's capital.’
- ‘His teacher, professional Sarah Wilson, 37, who co-owns the club, said the little boy had exceptional ability but was not the best youngster in his class.’
- ‘He also co-owns a chain of mortuaries, which kept him occupied in down years.’
- ‘Indeed, I know a Scottish businessman who co-owns a horse that is running on the all-weather tracks this winter.’
- ‘The puppy is co-owned by Patrick's father Jack.’
- ‘The business was sold to them by founder Gavin Baldwin, who co-owned it with wife Marian.’
- ‘The 26-year-old, who co-owned the car from which the deadly shots were fired, was seized in Flint, Michigan.’
- ‘Earlier on May 9, a spokesman for Honda, who co-own the team, said the manufacturer was confused and hurt by the punishment, which they said was ‘too severe’, and protested that the rules were ‘ambiguous’.’
- ‘They have yet to decide when they will buy out the ownership stake of her brother, who co-owns the home with Mary as part of their inheritance from their father.’
- ‘Jill co-owns a suburban beauty salon and is a woman with an obsession - namely the handsome doctor who lives in the house opposite with his wife, a wheelchair user.’
- ‘Bandy, who co-owns an advertising agency and travels a lot for business, decided to take flying lessons after completing a 10-hour road trip a few years ago.’
- ‘The two firms co-own a fleet of five trucks and share three employees who specialize in nutrition and purchase of feed ingredients.’
- ‘It was only after the governor's death that it was discovered the pair co-owned a paint factory in Holland.’
- ‘He co-owns the course with his sons Tod, Mike and Grant, who is also the company's managing director.’
- ‘It is primarily a financial decision, as they co-own a rambling property in Yorkshire and another in Italy.’
- ‘She had a career as a successful book editor but now-on paper-she co-owns a profitable company with her husband.’
- ‘I don't know of anything like it,’ says Matt Jackson, who co-owns the Waterwitch with Phil Simpson.’
- ‘She also co-owns two flats in Southern district and an apartment in her name in San Francisco.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.