Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An aquatic invertebrate animal of the phylum "Cnidaria", which comprises the coelenterates.
- ‘It is therefore largely appreciated that the resemblance between ctenophores and cnidarians is superficial and does not reflect a particularly close evolutionary relationship.’
- ‘The impression that Anthozoa is the basal cnidarian group may depend upon the taxa being discussed.’
- ‘There are three subgroups within the cnidarians that have medusae, cubozoans, hydrozoans, and scyphozoans.’
- ‘Fossils of the Twitya Formation are generally presumed to be cnidarians, or at least metazoans of cnidarian grade.’
- ‘A consensus is beginning to emerge regarding many key nodes in basal metazoan and cnidarian phylogeny, but many important questions remain.’
Relating to or denoting cnidarians.
- ‘Our study of the new material does not support a cnidarian affinity.’
- ‘A specific panel of seven target sequences was selected to test the binding patterns of cnidarian paired domains.’
- ‘Hox genes have been isolated from a number of cnidarian species including hydra.’
- ‘These ideas are supported by other authors for a host of cnidarian groups.’
- ‘Mackie is quick to point out the under appreciation of, and in fact often misinformation concerning, the cnidarian nervous system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.