One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fly that often enters buildings in large numbers during the autumn while looking for a place to overwinter.
Pollenia rudis (family Calliphoridae), whose larvae parasitize earthworms, and the smaller Thaumatomyia notata (family Chloropidae)
- ‘If cluster flies can be denied access to a building, they will not be a nuisance or require control.’
- ‘Bluebottles and cluster flies are disgusting little creatures, feeding off rotting food and excrement.’
- ‘Face flies and two or three species of cluster flies are often found in large clusters in the same overwintering site.’
- ‘Of course, spring is a good time to find earthworms, so the cluster fly is active during this season.’
- ‘An adult cluster fly is 8 mm long and its dark grey non-metallic body is covered with short golden hairs.’
- ‘The use of a vacuum cleaner is a quick and effective means of reducing a cluster fly population in the home.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.