Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A marine fish of a group that includes the herring family together with the anchovies and related fish.
- ‘This is an important spawning and nursery ground for many important pelagic fishes such as clupeoids, horse mackerel, scomber and saury.’
- ‘It may, therefore, be useful to briefly review some of the general characteristics of clupeoids to indicate what we might expect to find in Lake Tanganyika.’
- ‘Like anchovies and herrings, they are small, primitive fish belonging to the group known as clupeoids.’
- ‘Similarly, the anchovy-like clupeoids are usually distinctive because of their projecting, pig-like snout, large mouth and ‘underslung’ lower jaw.’
- ‘Randall reported that in the West Indies, 96% of the cero diet consists of small schooling fishes, particularly clupeoids of the genera Harengula, Jenkinsia and Opisthonema.’
Relating to fish of the clupeoid group.
- ‘The five species and subspecies of Sardinops yield roughly one-fourth of the catch of all clupeoid fishes, making it one of the most productive of all clupeoid genera.’
- ‘Interrelations between sensory development and habitat change in clupeoid larvae.’
- ‘We found that the pristigasterid Chirocentrodon bleekerianus, a small clupeiform from the tropical SW Atlantic, is able to prey on proportionally large clupeoid fishes and caridean shrimps.’
- ‘At night, clupeoid shoals rose in the water column and became more dispersed.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Clupeoidei (plural), from Latin clupea, the name of a river fish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.