One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thickly upholstered armchair of the type often found in clubs.
- ‘I ended up sitting down in an old leather club chair and reading for two days straight.’
- ‘‘It's brand new, and cost a fortune but…’ he trails off, taking a seat on a brown leather club chair across from me.’
- ‘Find a place in a club chair and gaze out the floor-to-ceiling windows that frame the lake and the hills to the north.’
- ‘A padded leather club chair sat in anticipatory judgment beside the dais.’
- ‘Another ad depicted two great-looking young men on a sofa flanking a ringlet-haired child seated in a kid-sized club chair.’
- ‘The English club chair was a starting point for this furniture which has become an icon of modern design.’
- ‘He settles into a brown leather club chair and props my tape recorder at his arm.’
- ‘Can his desire for a more traditional look be accommodated by the plans for a library where dark oak paneling and heavy club chairs will meet his needs?’
- ‘Loveseats, club chairs and ottomans, wing chairs, recliners and dining chairs all can benefit from the addition of a fashionable slipcover.’
- ‘One of the most eye-catching pieces amongst the range of furniture, upholstery, lighting and accessories is his modern day interpretation of a traditional gentleman's club chair.’
- ‘The mostly vacant lobby is scattered here and there with club chairs covered with cow hair.’
- ‘The elegant wood-paneled billiard room was ruined by the addition of a Space Invaders machine, which squats odiously between leather club chairs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.