Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, tropical marine fish with bold vertical stripes or other bright coloration. It lives in close association with anemones and is protected from their stings by mucus.Also called anemone fish
- ‘The mystery behind the clownfish and sea anemone relationship is how the clownfish avoids being stung and killed by its host anemone.’
- ‘When a tomato clownfish brings food back to an anemone, the anemone is rewarded with crumbs from the meal.’
- ‘So, the protection of the anemone afforded by the clownfish is part of the mutual relationship.’
- ‘In that way the clownfish gets protection and attracts prey for the anemone, an example of symbiosis, or co-operation between different animals.’
- ‘Among the damaged coral we saw free-swimming moray eels, octopuses, and several anemones with their resident clownfish.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.