One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See cloven hoof
- ‘Foot-and-mouth disease is a highly contagious, acute viral infection that affects cloven-footed mammals, causing small blisters and erosions in the mouth and on the feet and udders.’
- ‘A hairy drunken man-thing with horns on his head and cloven-footed goat-legs scampered between the trees, in lecherous pursuit of a young fat girl riding a centaur.’
- ‘The disease affects cows, sheep, goats and other cloven-footed animals, causing blisters on the mouth and feet.’
- ‘But the ‘Devil’ revealed here is not the cloven-footed demon of medieval folklore, nor yet his murderous human servants.’
- ‘The disease can spread at an alarming rate and affects all cloven-footed animals, including cattle, sheep, goats and deer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.