Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dwarf bramble that has white flowers and edible orange fruit and that grows on the mountains and moorlands of northern Eurasia and northern North America.
- ‘They also ate berries such as rowan and cloudberry, and hazelnuts.’
- ‘Thus Scandinavian countries make preserves based on cloudberries or lingonberries; Poland and Hungary make cherry jams; and S. European countries make apricot jams.’
- ‘In summer, the mountain slopes are lush with heather, birch forest and the occasional aspen; in season, there are wild cloudberries and blueberries, and in the forests are found chanterelles and other wild fungi.’
- ‘A large midday meal in a rural household may include fish baked in a rye loaf, potatoes, barley bread, cheese, pickled beets, cloudberries in sauce, milk, and coffee.’
- ‘And then there's the forest berries growing wild - blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, cloudberries, and lingonberries.’
- ‘There were stalls piled with pyramids of different coloured berries - deep purple blackcurrants, scarlet strawberries, pink lingonberries and bright orange slushy cloudberries.’
- ‘Her portrait on the back cover is as enticing and exotic as the pink cloudberry sorbet on the front cover.’
- ‘The introduction, however, explains that it is all part of a dream of a faraway land where Father Christmas rides in his sleigh through falling cloudberries.’
- ‘Millions of orange cloudberries are ripening in Norway, and experts say it may be the best cloudberry season in decades.’
- ‘Rare plant life which has perished includes cloudberry, a sub-arctic bramble, which thrives on moorland peat bogs.’
Late 16th century: apparently from the noun cloud in the obsolete sense ‘hill’+ berry.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.