Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A moist tropical or subtropical forest that is characterized by persistent low-level cloud.‘the lush cloud forests of the Andes’
- ‘In fact, traditional coffee farms often support more species of birds than equivalent areas of cloud forest.’
- ‘The Cloud Forest was nearly sacrificed by locals who try to scratch a living from its slopes.’
- ‘The hilly landscape is lush with dense cloud forest, interspersed with orange groves and coffee and banana plantations.’
- ‘Views were not the most spectacular, because of low cloud base, but it was well worth the effort to walk amongst unspoiled cloud forest.’
- ‘That gave us time to get out of the heat and dust of Managua to visit cloud forests, volcanic lakes and pristine beaches.’
- ‘Many of the species that occur in cloud forests are unique, and not found anywhere else.’
- ‘The landscape was still lofty and steep but had mellowed from bleak, high Andes to dense, lush cloud forest.’
- ‘The total area of cloud forest is something like 400,000 square kilometres.’
- ‘Eradication of evergreen cloud forest has resulted primarily from a rapidly increasing population that relies on subsistence swidden horticulture.’
- ‘The river carves its lonely course through dense cloud forest and canyon gorges.’
- ‘The authors noted that evergreen cloud forest had largely been eradicated in the Central Highlands by 1970.’
- ‘The problem is that the cloud forest appears to be drying out.’
- ‘The acclaimed reserve is home to one of the world's largest cloud forests and is a major ecotourism site.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.