One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bank of clouds of a particular type forming a layer at a certain altitude.
- ‘We were somewhere over Oklahoma and the cloud deck was descending with the sky getting noticeably darker.’
- ‘We stayed below the cloud deck to keep the horizon in view, but with night rapidly approaching, we knew we had to recover soon, or we'd be in big trouble.’
- ‘A low cloud deck blanketed the city, bringing with it the dreary weather that was normal for this time of year.’
- ‘The cloud deck was very low with a lot of ground fog that morning and the fog was just starting to break up.’
- ‘So this morning we thought there might be a cloud deck of about 500 feet, and that would have obscured the runway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.