One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wooden or plastic clip for securing clothes to a clothes line.
- ‘As he had promised, he set up a tent in the parlor by using clothespins to hang a few sheets from the couches and chairs.’
- ‘While she scrubbed the garments in a soapy tub with her washboard, Jack used clothespins to hang them upon long lines of string attached to trees.’
- ‘Handmade clothes pegs simply can't compete with imported plastic pegs.’
- ‘Left wing groups are calling for people to wear clothes pegs over their noses when they vote.’
- ‘It is close to one o'clock when she hangs each article of clothing on the line in the sunshine. She stuffs clothespins in her mouth and snaps them on the clean linen.’
- ‘Feel free to tie the canes together with soft string or tying-up tape, and then wrap the whole bundle, fastening the fabric tightly with clothespins.’
- ‘I went round to my local pound shop and bought a pack of 100 wooden clothes pegs.’
- ‘Then, use three clothespins to secure them to one another across the bridge of the nose.’
- ‘Then use clothespins to clip a couple of cherries by their stems to the ribbon or cloth.’
- ‘These are made of blue or white plastic clothes pegs, cable ties, nails and wire.’
- ‘The Woodentops were a surreal family who were carved out of bits of wood, very possibly clothes pegs.’
- ‘Cut identical stocking shapes from two pieces of foam then clip them together with clothespins.’
- ‘Use the clothes pegs to hold the fabric or paper in place until the glue has dried.’
- ‘As she worked, she hung the sheets on the line with clothespins and let them dry in the cool, country wind of Polperro.’
- ‘Do you leave clothes pegs on the line, or bring them in?’
- ‘Set up the drying rack and locate your clothespins.’
- ‘Then I cover the top of this container with clear plastic wrap, holding it down with clothespins (or you can use a rubber band).’
- ‘Lay the ends along the cord and secure with the clothespin while you prepare three new yarns.’
- ‘A couple of clothes pegs are ideal to fasten your wet items to somewhere suitable.’
- ‘After making the cylinder, fold the top of the cylinder over and pin it shut with clothespins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.