Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A play to be read rather than acted.
- ‘After the ambitious Radio Days, Allen decided to attempt a closet drama in a style reminiscent of Ibsen.’
- ‘She composed several verse translations and is recognized as author of the closet drama The Tragedie of Mariam, ascribed to ‘E.C. ’, the first known play in English by a woman.’
- ‘In Browning's closet drama Pippa Passes, a young girl from the silk mills of Asolo hopes to improve everyone she encounters on her annual holiday.’
- ‘Cotter's blank verse four-act play Caleb, the Degenerate is essentially closet drama, mainly of historical interest, as is the case with his other plays.’
- ‘Written in a language which was not yet spoken, they were essentially closet dramas.’
closet drama/ˈkläzət ˈdrämə/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.