Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A play to be read rather than acted.
- ‘She composed several verse translations and is recognized as author of the closet drama The Tragedie of Mariam, ascribed to ‘E.C. ’, the first known play in English by a woman.’
- ‘Written in a language which was not yet spoken, they were essentially closet dramas.’
- ‘Cotter's blank verse four-act play Caleb, the Degenerate is essentially closet drama, mainly of historical interest, as is the case with his other plays.’
- ‘After the ambitious Radio Days, Allen decided to attempt a closet drama in a style reminiscent of Ibsen.’
- ‘In Browning's closet drama Pippa Passes, a young girl from the silk mills of Asolo hopes to improve everyone she encounters on her annual holiday.’
closet drama/ˈkläzət ˈdrämə/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.