One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period in the year when fishing or the killing of particular game is officially forbidden.
- ‘Last season was terrible for us, and the close season even worse, with a key player leaving the club.’
- ‘We haven't made too many changes in the close season so they even know each other and our system back to front.’
- ‘Jackson has wasted no time in rebuilding his playing squad and three new players have all arrived in the close season.’
- ‘His assistant is a former Everton player whom he coaxed into returning to the club in the close season.’
- ‘Four more players sought transfer forms in the close season and last week, four more announced they were leaving.’
- ‘United groundsmen will have some work to do during the close season to bring the playing surface up to Premier league standard.’
- ‘The Second Division club, who have been struggling throughout the close season to hang on to their players, have sent a letter to the league informing them of their decision.’
- ‘Yes, because they've been soliciting loads of players during the close season.’
- ‘He has got himself very, very fit this close season and there is no doubt that we have got two very talented goalkeepers here.’
- ‘The Wasps have been working overtime during the close season to rebuild their squad after the horrors of last year.’
- ‘The obvious time to make such reinforcements would have been in the brief close season that follows the end of the Masters Series and precedes the Australian Open this month.’
- ‘United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has hinted that he is already thinking about significantly strengthening his squad in the close season.’
- ‘Hill have clearly strengthened their side in the close season, and have made an early impact, recording good results against established Premier Division sides.’
- ‘Matt is one of the many hundreds of professional footballers who were released by clubs during the close season.’
- ‘The coach will spend the entire close season trying to find out what went wrong.’
- ‘Weight problems that have dogged him after recent close seasons have eased now he has taken advice on his diet.’
- ‘The questionnaire will also be distributed to the majority of season ticket holders during the close season.’
- ‘As the close season draws to an end many hundreds of professional footballers face an uncertain future.’
- ‘They have been very active in the close season and have some selection decisions to make in identifying their optimum line-up.’
- ‘I'm very impressed with how much you've all matured in the close season.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.