One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period in the year when fishing or the killing of particular game is officially forbidden.
- ‘United groundsmen will have some work to do during the close season to bring the playing surface up to Premier league standard.’
- ‘The obvious time to make such reinforcements would have been in the brief close season that follows the end of the Masters Series and precedes the Australian Open this month.’
- ‘Weight problems that have dogged him after recent close seasons have eased now he has taken advice on his diet.’
- ‘He has got himself very, very fit this close season and there is no doubt that we have got two very talented goalkeepers here.’
- ‘His assistant is a former Everton player whom he coaxed into returning to the club in the close season.’
- ‘I'm very impressed with how much you've all matured in the close season.’
- ‘Four more players sought transfer forms in the close season and last week, four more announced they were leaving.’
- ‘United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has hinted that he is already thinking about significantly strengthening his squad in the close season.’
- ‘They have been very active in the close season and have some selection decisions to make in identifying their optimum line-up.’
- ‘The Second Division club, who have been struggling throughout the close season to hang on to their players, have sent a letter to the league informing them of their decision.’
- ‘Jackson has wasted no time in rebuilding his playing squad and three new players have all arrived in the close season.’
- ‘We haven't made too many changes in the close season so they even know each other and our system back to front.’
- ‘Yes, because they've been soliciting loads of players during the close season.’
- ‘The coach will spend the entire close season trying to find out what went wrong.’
- ‘The Wasps have been working overtime during the close season to rebuild their squad after the horrors of last year.’
- ‘Last season was terrible for us, and the close season even worse, with a key player leaving the club.’
- ‘As the close season draws to an end many hundreds of professional footballers face an uncertain future.’
- ‘Matt is one of the many hundreds of professional footballers who were released by clubs during the close season.’
- ‘Hill have clearly strengthened their side in the close season, and have made an early impact, recording good results against established Premier Division sides.’
- ‘The questionnaire will also be distributed to the majority of season ticket holders during the close season.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.