Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Restricted; obstructive; secret.‘the senior staff went into closed-door sessions’
- ‘Marathon closed-door meetings of key activists from around the world hammered out detailed plans for action over the coming months.’
- ‘The two-hour, closed-door session did not appear to produce much.’
- ‘At a closed-door session later, however, he said the pair were corrupt.’
- ‘There was a closed-door session for about an hour, and then one of the jurors was late for court.’
- ‘It all started after Democratic leaders triggered a closed-door session.’
- ‘The morning session will be open to the public but the afternoon session will be a closed-door meeting as some of the discussion may concern national security.’
- ‘They excluded all but two of the Democrats from closed-door negotiating sessions on the final form of the legislation.’
- ‘The photos are thought to be the same ones which left members of Congress ashen-faced when showed in a closed-door session last summer.’
- ‘Not much concrete came out of the closed-door conclave, except a flurry of articles and promises by both sides to continue talking.’
- ‘And you can imagine that he will be facing some incredibly intense questions at that closed-door hearing next week.’
- ‘It was a closed-door deal - done without competing bids and without congressional hearings or a vote.’
- ‘Well, the second week of defense testimony began much like last week did, in closed-door evidentiary hearings.’
- ‘Are these closed-door procedures justified by legitimate security needs?’
- ‘Both the parliament and the government have openly demanded a secret, closed-door trial to ban a political party.’
- ‘After a closed-door debate, the Security Council voted to approve his panel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.