Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reticent; discreet.‘the candidates have been close-mouthed about their fund-raising goals’
reticent, quiet, uncommunicative, unforthcoming, private, secretive, tight-lipped, close-mouthed, close-lipped, guarded, evasiveView synonyms
- ‘They've been sort of close-mouthed about the formulation of their fuel like any other commercial project.’
- ‘He is always very close-mouthed about school when he first leaves it.’
- ‘Proctor was a little strange and very close-mouthed about his past.’
- ‘He's a particularly close-mouthed politician, and when he does speak, it is almost always to distract and dissemble.’
- ‘While the police have been quite close-lipped to Anna herself, her father seems to be getting more information.’
- ‘He sure is pretty close-lipped about his accomplishments.’
- ‘And anyone who says that she is standoffish, too serious and close-mouthed most likely has seen her only in performance when she's got one thing alone on her mind: if I'm going to do it, I'm going to give it my all.’
- ‘Seriously Aspen, it's really bugging me how close-mouthed you are, you have to tell me, or I can't understand.’
- ‘The openhearted man lived surrounded by bitter, close-mouthed enemies.…’
- ‘The fertilizer industry at the time was extremely close-mouthed when it came to sharing information on how they produced various fertilizers.’
- ‘Once on horseback, however, his focus had turned inward, and he'd become close-lipped.’
- ‘The company was close-mouthed when it came to quoting prices for the service because ‘every one of these is really a customized proposal.’’
- ‘Unfortunately, he's relatively close-mouthed on the issue.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.