One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Muscular spasm involving repeated, often rhythmic, contractions.
muscle spasm, muscular spasm, muscle contraction, muscular contraction, pang, twingeView synonyms
- ‘Strictly speaking this is classed as clonus rather than tremor.’
- ‘Medication is indicated when stiffness, spasms, or clonus interferes with function or sleep.’
- ‘The patient should be tested for deep tendon reflexes and clonus.’
- ‘He was getting clonus in his quads which made him more and more unsteady.’
- ‘Physical examination revealed left ankle clonus, positive Babinski sign on the left, and left lower extremity weakness.’
Early 19th century: from Greek klonos ‘turmoil’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.