One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An employee who is overly strict or zealous about not working more than the required hours.‘his lamp burned throughout the night; he was no clock-watcher’
- ‘Their jobs will be taken by sloppy, indifferent clock-watchers.’
- ‘She was always a true racer, not a clock-watcher.’
- ‘With your information, you'll be able to plea-bargain your way out of it by scapegoating some unsuspecting clock-watcher.’
- ‘Most working mothers cite improved focus on their work on returning from leave, and are not distracted clock-watchers.’
- ‘But the anecdotal evidence about the others - the clock-watchers - is piling up.’
- ‘In a nation of clock-watchers, Gustav stood out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.