One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A room in a public building where coats and other belongings may be left temporarily.
- ‘My mind kept returning to a cloakroom which has masses of children's clothes and coats hanging up, and a central heating boiler at the back of the room.’
- ‘Ticket boxes and a cloakroom (behind the stairs) greet you as you come in.’
- ‘Built about 15 years ago, this three-bed mid-terrace red-brick house has an entrance hallway, kitchen/dining room, living room and a cloakroom on the ground floor.’
- ‘This gives an illusion of space even in tiny rooms like cloakrooms.’
- ‘Could they not have given out cloakroom tickets last night to everyone who queued up in the rain?’
- ‘The remainder of the accommodation comprises a bedroom with en suite shower room and a guest cloakroom with fitted shelving.’
- ‘An old fashioned pantry leads off it, with rows of neat shelving which would be roomy enough to convert to a cloakroom / utility room.’
- ‘Somewhere in the building there would be a cloakroom.’
- ‘She worked part-time at the Paradox Club in Brighton as a cloakroom attendant.’
- ‘The final phase currently planned is for new cloakrooms and an entrance hall linking the original building and the infants' classroom.’
- ‘They still can go into the cloistered cloakrooms, into the member's gym and dining room… and even onto the floor of congress itself.’
- ‘From cloakroom attendant at The Cavern to hostess of a thousand Blind Dates, she remains one of our best-loved entertainers.’
- ‘The great spiralling lamp, lighting the ground floor cafe, is made of copper as are the intricate mesh cupboards of the cloakroom upstairs.’
- ‘He had left it on the cloakroom floor on Wednesday last week because it was too big to fit in his locker.’
- ‘A corridor leads to a fine sized family room; also in this area are a cloakroom, kitchen, laundry room and utility room.’
- ‘Because of the overcrowding problems in the school I know that some children are being taught in cloakrooms.’
- ‘A utility room offers further storage and a cloakroom completes the ground floor accommodation.’
- ‘A cloakroom and shower room complete the accommodation at this level.’
- ‘She recounts one episode late at night, when she was confronted by the man in a corridor in the parliament building - before escaping through a cloakroom.’
- ‘Beneath the new foyer that links hail to street and school, the architect included some basement rooms for cloakrooms and storage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.