One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘A current theory is that the eggs are ovulated through the cloacal pore and are expelled under pressure by muscular contractions.’
- ‘Birds were mist-netted or caught in seed-baited traps and sexed by examination of the cloacal protuberance.’
- ‘Bird penile tissue, where it exists, also develops on the ventral cloacal wall.’
- ‘But most birds and Sphenodon lack intromittent organs and transfer sperm by cloacal apposition.’
- ‘Little is known of their reproductive biology, but the lack of both spermatheca in females, and cloacal glands in males, suggests external fertilization.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.