Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a group or place) tending to form or hold exclusive groups and so not welcoming to outsiders.‘a cliquey school’
- ‘Amy, 12, fell victim to her cliquey friends and admits in total embarrassment, ‘I joined in on it.’’
- ‘The one thing I'd always seen with Great Britain teams of the past is that they'd been kind of cliquey.’
- ‘For one you don't have to wear ridiculous clothes and be cliquey.’
- ‘They are insular, cliquey and clannish, yet they worm their way into the highest positions of power in their adopted countries.’
- ‘I don't mean this in an elitist or cliquey way, for there can surely be no elite or clique in Manchester.’
- ‘‘We have only been showing for seven years, and it can be a very cliquey industry, so for comparatively ‘little’ people, this is a huge achievement.’’
- ‘The bar staff seem more intent on having shots themselves than actually serving customers, and the crowd is too cliquey.’
- ‘I didn't quite like Aaron that much, especially since he is known to be quite cliquey, I must admit.’
- ‘Of course all teenagers are cliquey and can be cruel.’
- ‘Like the strap-line, the website immediately came across as cliquey.’
- ‘I care more about people and not their cliquey groups, cultural fears and apathy.’
- ‘Initially, I was put off by thinking that everyone would be really good and it would be really cliquey, but it's not.’
- ‘I wasn't a cliquey person, and I think that's because I came from a large family.’
- ‘Maybe we weren't supposed to, but the evening seems to be taking on a rather cliquey feel.’
- ‘Vancouver is fragmented and a bit cliquey, but I'm part of a clique.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.