Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Attached by a clip so as to be easy to fasten or remove.‘a clip-on bow tie’
- ‘A small metal ring fastened with a clip-on ball may also be used.’
- ‘I have to remove one glitzy clip-on earring every time I answer the phone.’
- ‘Mr Tang should learn the tricks of his trade and wear clip-on ties!’
- ‘There I was every Sunday, in a jacket and clip-on tie, singing along with the other second-graders that Jesus loved me and that I knew it because the Bible told me so.’
- ‘In addition, the ship's welfare fund had purchased 350 miniature, clip-on koalas bearing the ANF for distribution to the children encountered on the deployment.’
- ‘So it was me alone in a tiny room, with an earpiece and clip-on microphone, staring at a fuzzy blob that purported to be a camera.’
- ‘However, some cabbies are up in arms over plans for them to wear clip-on ties instead, which they say still represent a danger.’
- ‘Attached to the dummy is an adjustable frame that holds your ski boot via a clip such as those used with clip-on crampons.’
- ‘Why couldn't Jess have got us the clip-on kind of ties?’
- ‘Hats are in, shoes are brown and highly polished, and elasticated clip-on braces seem to be making a comeback.’
- ‘At the National Television Awards, there was a young presenter sporting a clip-on bow tie.’
- ‘As might be expected, the uniform was very starchy with a pinny and clip-on collar.’
- ‘We climbed into oilskins, life jackets and clip-on safety harnesses, and became fellow shipmates for the day-night crossing.’
- ‘Resolution will get much better in four years, and I bet these clip-on cameras will look pretty funny in a few years too.’
- ‘An additional feature is the new clip-on visor.’
- ‘So put that on, and dig out some of those out-of-date clip-on Adidas pants which you insist are something of a fashionable item.’
- ‘Though experts say the clip-on hair extensions are easy to work with, you can have a hairdresser apply them if you prefer.’
- ‘Make sure you only ever wear a quick release clip-on tie unless you want to end up getting strangled by your own tie.’
- ‘She had clip-on nose and lip rings and various makeup applied to her face.’
- ‘He is wearing a chocolate brown moleskin suit, a dark shirt and tartan clip-on braces, one of which has come adrift.’
Things, especially sunglasses or earrings, that are attached by clips.
- ‘At least the clip-ons would be attached in two places and would have less leverage and force against them.’
- ‘If she wears clip-ons relatively frequently, it is quite possible that the holes are closing up a little.’
- ‘He said you should not use clip-ons with any lightweight bars.’
- ‘Hair Replacement Centers offer clip-ons from $19.50 to $269 for a kit.’
- ‘Devin leaned out and pulled the earrings off - they were clip-ons, thankfully.’
- ‘I should've got a clip-on, but Dad hadn't reminded us of this event until that morning.’
- ‘Why did she wear clip-ons, but the holes for her piercings were plainly visible when her ears were naked?’
- ‘Whereas the clip-on is from China, the necklace and the box come from Taiwan.’
- ‘Taking a set of clip-ons from his pocket he placed the teeth on his own, then hissed at another set of girls.’
- ‘‘It's a clip-on,’ she said then she demonstrated to Lily exactly how to do it.’
- ‘Then see how cute the little playground mauler looks with a pair of cubic zirconia clip-ons.’
- ‘Buy the tie now and practice, but get a clip-on just in case.’
- ‘It also offers a very broad range of accessories including batteries, headsets, add-ons and clip-ons.’
- ‘There are two kinds of leashes: clip-ons, which can be removed from the tool, and permanently attached cinch-downs.’
- ‘But I was thinking… I know the clip-ons hurt your ears, and you've sort of out grown those stickers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.