Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a boat) having external planks secured with clinched nails such that the bottom edge of an upper plank overlaps the upper edge of a lower plank.Compare with carvel-built
- ‘Nowadays, these wooden clinker-built dinghies are equipped with reliable outboard motors which means you no longer need forearms like Popeye to go afloat on Leven.’
- ‘But not everyone who visits this exclusive little port considers it prudent to spend the equivalent of the cost of a clinker-built dinghy on a single night's accommodation.’
- ‘The roof here is constructed almost like a clinker-built boat, again reflecting Barry's other great love, sailing.’
- ‘It's a 14 ft, wooden, clinker-built boat, upside down and in need of some varnish.’
- ‘The clinker-built whaler lay trapped between the twin worlds of darkling sea and shadow-limned night.’
- ‘The clinker-built construction of overlapping planks secured by clench nails conferred great strength with flexibility.’
- ‘Perhaps the most interesting of these were the clench-nails, as these were used to fasten the overlapping long planks of a clinker-built vessel together.’
- ‘Well preserved remains of Viking ships show they were clinker-built of overlapping planks and measured between about 17.5m and 36m in length.’
- ‘These were clinker-built - that is, with timbers overlapping and not laid flush - with flat bottom, straight stem and stern posts, a stern rudder and a single sail.’
- ‘The most popular was the clinker-built dinghy.’
- ‘The felling of strakes used in its clinker-built hull has been dated by dendrochronology to the 880s.’
Mid 18th century: clinker from clink ( northern English variant of clinch).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.