Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a garment) fitting closely to the body and showing its shape.‘she was wearing a clinging black dress’
tight, clinging, tight-fitting, close-fitting, figure-hugging, skintight, sheath-likeView synonyms
- ‘Federon puffed out his chest, delighted by the sudden attention, allowing his eyes to affix themselves to the neckline of Kendra's clinging top.’
- ‘I tried not to notice how the clinging clothes accentuated her figure.’
- ‘Even the outline of the piece of cloth she used to tie back her breasts was outlined by the clinging clothes.’
- ‘Even at that she is badly served by a frumpy blonde wig and clinging dresses that make her look more like a dumpy middle-aged housewife.’
- ‘She was a demanding and clinging mother.’
- ‘It wasn't skin tight, but was extremely clingy and you could certainly see features of her body highlighted by the clinging material.’
- ‘She was dressed in a long clinging black dress that showed off her curves.’
- ‘Petrenko arrived three hours into the party in a clinging black pants outfit and siren-red lipstick.’
- ‘He points to her short, clinging dress and elegant heels.’
- ‘The second is the glamorous Lady Stephens in a clinging white trouser suit and black boots.’
- ‘She found herself in the brown tight jeans and equally as clinging long sleeve gray shirt that had a very tall collar.’
- ‘She was wearing a clinging red dress, bright as the petals of a poison flower.’
- ‘She could see his muscles ripple under his clinging shirt.’
- ‘Nothing else in this comedy moves as freely as his portly stomach, which wobbles heftily inside his clinging outfit.’
- ‘A gang of Trolls and Orcs appeared out of a portal along with a gang of Shaman-Mages and unnaturally pale and thin women in clinging black clothes.’
- ‘Their hairdresser of choice was Kenneth, who created Jackie's trademark bouffant, and advised Marilyn to dye her pubic hair blonde so that it didn't show through her clinging clothes.’
2Overly dependent on someone emotionally.‘she wasn't the clinging type’
- ‘Dependent personality disorder is described as a pervasive and excessive need to be taken care of that leads to a submissive and clinging behavior as well as fears of separation.’
- ‘She is a clinging, alcoholic, older woman who turns into the invading ‘monster’ of the film.’
- ‘Through projective identification, the clinging and overtly dependent borderline partner can express the split-off dependency needs of both.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.