A region considered with reference to its climate.‘the Continent and its sunnier climes’
town, city, village, hamletView synonyms
- ‘The coffee bean, as you may know, comes from an evergreen tree that thrives in subtropical climes.’
- ‘Winter is a wonderful time for birdwatching, thanks to the surge of shivering Greenlanders who flock to our more temperate climes.’
- ‘They immediately headed south to the continent's sunnier climes.’
- ‘It is a veritable tribute to the two communities that thrive in the warm and balmy climes of the island nation.’
- ‘In 2,500 BC, primitive agriculture was difficult enough to practise in nice, warm climes.’
Late Middle English: from late Latin clima zone (see climate).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.