Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The scientific study of climate.
- ‘This remarkably fortunate coincidence is known among scientists as ‘the Goldilocks problem of climatology.’’
- ‘First, we look at the mean climatology (i.e. are the large scale features of the climate reasonably modelled?’
- ‘What impact has this glut of information had on the practice of the two disciplines of meteorology and climatology?’
- ‘During the late 1970s researchers again observed dramatic changes in sea-surface temperature, ocean circulation, and climatology.’
- ‘My dad studied climatology, and he was sent there for a few weeks to study the rapidly changing tropical climate.’
- ‘Because the deniers are so out of tune with this overwhelming scientific consensus, they have been forced to turn on climatology itself.’
- ‘If you get unusually warm weather late in the fall, people want to give it a name, but it's really just part of the normal climatology.’
- ‘Such measurements of hours of bright sunshine have limitations when applied to the study of climatology of grapevines.’
- ‘However, he had always been interested in geophysics, and also became fascinated with the developing fields of meteorology and climatology.’
- ‘The next ice age could be up to 1,000 years or more away - a short period in climatology but a comfortingly lengthy one for us.’
- ‘Amongst the group were experts in environmental management, ecology, geology, palaeontology, climatology and economics.’
- ‘We can study pollution, deforestation, agriculture, climatology, global warming, species migration, and other aspects of man's interaction with the planet.’
- ‘Backcasting has historically been used in the fields of ecology and climatology to monitor population trends and climate patterns.’
- ‘The described field experiment does support the feasibility of using the STAR scheme to derive a frame of reference for solar UV climatology.’
- ‘As a result, academics at Swiss universities are among the world's best-qualified to assess long-term trends in mountain climatology.’
- ‘Indeed, part of the problem with discussion of the topic is that non-scientists are often too willing to pontificate about matters of climatology.’
- ‘Among these are astronomy, climatology, ecology, evolutionary biology, geology, and paleontology.’
- ‘The manuscripts provide a written testimony to the skill of African scientists, in astronomy, mathematics, chemistry, medicine and climatology in the Middle Ages.’
- ‘A network of micro-satellites as a constellation around Mars would characterize the 3 - D structure of the atmosphere, giving a new look at Martian climatology.’
- ‘For one thing, we have made enormous advances in climatology.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.