One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brand name for a series of prepared notes used as study guides for literary works and other school and college subject matter.
- ‘Written exclusively by experienced teachers and educators, CliffsNotes are the resource of choice for today's students.’
- ‘Hankins raced through a CliffsNotes summary of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.’
- ‘In assembling a CliffsNotes to his or her own emotional history, a teen begins compiling ‘self-defining memories’ such as Baumbach's treasured museum expeditions.’
- ‘As we learned from the CliffsNotes site, the booklets were named after their founder, Cliff Hillegass.’
- ‘Students from junior high to grad school have been turning to CliffsNotes to save study time since 1958.’
For Cliff Hillegass (1918–2001), US developer of the series.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.