Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of an object, especially part of a mechanism) fall smoothly into its allotted position.
- ‘If the retaining ring has not been correctly clicked into place, the positional locking cap will not click into place.’
- ‘A male voice roared, followed by the sound of a pistol's barrel clicking into place.’
- ‘The seventh hour of the clock on the wall clicked into place.’
- ‘This is split into two panels; these slot together, click into place and, when removed, are stored in the luggage compartment.’
- ‘It clicks into place in an upright position when needed.’
- ‘She gasped once and passed out when the bones clicked into place.’
- ‘Hearing the mechanism click into place, Alana resolutely threw the key as far from her into the void of her mind as possible.’
- ‘The panel easily connects to its base, and once it clicks into place, the panel is ready to roll.’
- ‘And suddenly, with a sickening thud, it clicked into place.’
- ‘Once you have a nice even spread of paste, proceed by placing the copper cooler into position and pushing down the two pins until you hear them click into place.’
- 1.1 Become suddenly clear and understandable.‘everything has clicked into place for the organization’
- ‘With the acquisition of the controlling stake in the major US satellite group DirecTV, everything was clicking into place.’
- ‘As soon as we saw each other everything clicked into place.’
- ‘While everything seems to be clicking into place, there is however, one burning question.’
- ‘I twitched and I felt myself close my eyes for a brief second, everything clicking into place in my head.’
- ‘The 35-year-old missed six weeks before returning against Lancashire last week and at once everything seemed to click into place.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.