Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a chiefly tropical genus that includes the spider flower. Cleomes are noted for their long stamens.
- ‘Late-spring-to-frost annuals include the numerous sun coleuses, cleomes, periwinkles and zinnias.’
- ‘Deep red love-lies-bleeding and cherry pink cleome flank cosmos in pink and rose shades.’
- ‘Tall flowers, like cleome and tithonias, are planted on the outside of the fence, concealing the utilitarian purpose of the garden.’
- ‘Tall, white cleome accent the center of each bed.’
- ‘Impatiens and cleomes are two longtime favorites of the summer garden.’
Modern Latin, from Greek, denoting a different plant.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.