Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a chiefly tropical genus that includes the spider flower. Cleomes are noted for their long stamens.
- ‘Impatiens and cleomes are two longtime favorites of the summer garden.’
- ‘Tall, white cleome accent the center of each bed.’
- ‘Deep red love-lies-bleeding and cherry pink cleome flank cosmos in pink and rose shades.’
- ‘Late-spring-to-frost annuals include the numerous sun coleuses, cleomes, periwinkles and zinnias.’
- ‘Tall flowers, like cleome and tithonias, are planted on the outside of the fence, concealing the utilitarian purpose of the garden.’
Modern Latin, from Greek, denoting a different plant.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.