One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A congenital split in the roof of the mouth.
- ‘Around 70% of babies with cleft lips also have cleft palates.’
- ‘A cleft palate is an opening between the roof of the mouth and the nasal cavity.’
- ‘More than 70 percent of babies with cleft lip also have cleft palate.’
- ‘Twice as many boys as girls have a cleft lip, both with and without a cleft palate.’
- ‘Scientists also identified genes that affirm the chicken's value as a model for study of developmental disorders like cleft palate and diseases like muscular dystrophy.’
- ‘Cleft lip and cleft palate are birth defects in which the tissues of the mouth and/or lip don't form properly during fetal development.’
- ‘I am 19 years old and have scoliosis and a cleft palate.’
- ‘I have seen children born with both cleft lip and cleft palate go on to be and do just about everything and anything imaginable.’
- ‘Breast feeding can be difficult where the baby has a cleft palate, and some babies may need the help of special feeding equipment.’
- ‘These included cleft palates, skulls that didn't close and other deformities that affected the survival rate of kittens.’
- ‘The use of maxillary distraction, particularly in the cleft palate population, has allowed us to achieve levels of correction that are unattainable by other methods.’
- ‘A cleft palate occurs when the roof of the mouth has not joined completely and can also range in severity.’
- ‘And in some cases, until they have reconstructive surgery, children with cleft palates may need to wear a prosthetic palate called an obturator to help them eat properly.’
- ‘Figure 2 provides a comparison of the anatomical features in a normal developed palate with that of a cleft palate deformity.’
- ‘Many patients had cleft lips, cleft palates, burns, or extra or fused fingers or toes.’
- ‘Sometimes cleft palate is taken to mean simply a hare lip.’
- ‘Repair of the cleft lip begins after completion of the cleft palate repair.’
- ‘So most children with cleft palate suffer from frequent otitis media, ear discharge and deafness.’
- ‘Does a cleft palate have anything to do with the jaw?’
- ‘It was indicative, as we later discovered, of the fact that she had a sub-mucous cleft palate and was unable to make a vacuum in her mouth cavity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.