Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A congenital split in the upper lip on one or both sides of the center, often associated with a cleft palate.→ harelip
- ‘Correction of the unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity presents a very difficult problem.’
- ‘I closed my eyes, and kept having visions of a baby with spinobifida, or down syndrome, or malformed body parts, or a cleft lip, and I got shaky.’
- ‘The plastic surgeons were kept very busy, he said, ‘because a large proportion of children and babies in the area are born with cleft lips and palates.’’
- ‘About 600 cleft lips have been corrected so far in three years.’
- ‘Neonates with a cleft lip or palate may have other associated syndromes or congenital anomalies.’
- ‘I have seen advertisements for a cleft lip surgeon; but who will want to spend 35 years doing only one type of operation?’
- ‘Newborns with a cleft lip or palate require genetic evaluation and plastic surgery.’
- ‘Figure 1 provides a comparison of the anatomical features of a normal developed lip and nose with those of a cleft lip deformity.’
- ‘A cleft lip is a separation of the two sides of the lip.’
- ‘Rarely, maternal use of benzodiazepines has been associated with anomalies such as cleft lip and palate, as well as a withdrawal syndrome in the newborn.’
- ‘A cleft lip is a long opening between the upper lip and the nose.’
- ‘One explanation could be that we included people with discrete malformations associated with cleft lip and palate.’
- ‘A cleft lip can make it more difficult for your child to suck on a nipple.’
- ‘A cleft lip can range from a simple notch in the upper lip to a complete gap in the lip running into the floor of the nostril.’
- ‘The repaired cleft lip may be noticed in the adult as an uneven upper lip and a scar that runs from the nose down through the upper lip.’
- ‘The hospital, third in the State, will conduct free camps to detect children with cleft lips in and around the southern districts.’
- ‘The most characteristic features associated with the bilateral cleft lip may include any or all of the following.’
- ‘A cleft lip is a condition that creates an opening in the upper lip between the mouth and nose.’
- ‘Surgical cleft lip repairs have been reported as early as 390 AD in China.’
- ‘Closure of a cleft lip (incomplete formation of the lip, or ‘harelip’) in an infant is such a procedure.’
Cleft lip is the standard, accepted term and should be used instead of harelip, which can cause offense
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.