One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A day-flying moth which has narrow mainly transparent wings and mimics a wasp or bee in appearance.
- ‘The adult is a clearwing moth, with the forewings brown and the hindwings clear with brown borders.’
- ‘The adult of the raspberry crown borer is a clearwing moth with a wingspan of 1 1/4 inches.’
- ‘Honeybees (the few that have so far escaped the Varroa mites), bumblebees, various flies and beetles, and the hummingbird clearwing (a moth that thinks it's a hummingbird) frequent milkweeds too.’
- ‘Most clearwing moths look wasp- or hornet-like, but the adult squash vine borer looks like a large, glassy-winged, bright orange and black fly-fishing lure.’
- ‘The adult is a clearwing moth in the same family as the peachtree borer, lesser peachtree borer, and lilac borer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.