One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open space in a forest, especially one cleared for cultivation.
glade, dell, space, gap, openingView synonyms
- ‘Coming to a clearing's edge, they caught sight of the poacher in the distance.’
- ‘When we reached a beautiful clearing in the woods, I proposed to rest.’
- ‘Forest openings and clearings and agricultural areas are also good habitat for the Western Bluebird.’
- ‘She led them to a small, grassy clearing in the middle of a wooded area.’
- ‘They approached the clearing in the woods - each of them staring in awe.’
- ‘They are common in forest clearings, wetlands, edges, residential areas, orchards, and stands of Russian olive.’
- ‘Now the underbrush was thickening, and suddenly I entered a small clearing surrounded by thick pine trees.’
- ‘They entered a small clearing surrounded by oak trees.’
- ‘A faint rustling from within the trees at the clearing's edge signalled that they had company.’
- ‘At the end of at least twenty minutes of walking, we approach a clearing.’
- ‘They were in a clearing in the middle of a seemingly endless forest.’
- ‘The trees around us ended, and we found ourselves in a circular clearing.’
- ‘I was wandering one day, and I just happened upon that little clearing.’
- ‘The large clearing was surrounding by the woods, creating a horseshoe shape.’
- ‘The large clearing in the forest was almost right out of a fairy tale.’
- ‘They came upon a large clearing in the forest, where they faced an enormous rock face.’
- ‘He found a grassy clearing with ease, and began gathering a pile of dead wood from the ground.’
- ‘I left the little clearing, walking mechanically back to the hostel.’
- ‘The three adventurers soon found themselves standing in the center of a circular clearing.’
- ‘There, in a grassy, sunny clearing, sat an innocent little cottage.’
A system used by universities to fill the remaining available undergraduate places before the start of the academic year.
- ‘We're now into the university clearing season.’
- ‘Students going through clearing should make themselves available because admissions tutors will want to talk to them rather than their parents.’
- ‘Universities you approach during clearing will ask for these.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.