One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open space in a forest, especially one cleared for cultivation.
glade, dell, space, gap, openingView synonyms
- ‘He found a grassy clearing with ease, and began gathering a pile of dead wood from the ground.’
- ‘The large clearing in the forest was almost right out of a fairy tale.’
- ‘They entered a small clearing surrounded by oak trees.’
- ‘A faint rustling from within the trees at the clearing's edge signalled that they had company.’
- ‘They are common in forest clearings, wetlands, edges, residential areas, orchards, and stands of Russian olive.’
- ‘I left the little clearing, walking mechanically back to the hostel.’
- ‘She led them to a small, grassy clearing in the middle of a wooded area.’
- ‘The large clearing was surrounding by the woods, creating a horseshoe shape.’
- ‘At the end of at least twenty minutes of walking, we approach a clearing.’
- ‘Forest openings and clearings and agricultural areas are also good habitat for the Western Bluebird.’
- ‘The three adventurers soon found themselves standing in the center of a circular clearing.’
- ‘They were in a clearing in the middle of a seemingly endless forest.’
- ‘Now the underbrush was thickening, and suddenly I entered a small clearing surrounded by thick pine trees.’
- ‘The trees around us ended, and we found ourselves in a circular clearing.’
- ‘When we reached a beautiful clearing in the woods, I proposed to rest.’
- ‘Coming to a clearing's edge, they caught sight of the poacher in the distance.’
- ‘They approached the clearing in the woods - each of them staring in awe.’
- ‘They came upon a large clearing in the forest, where they faced an enormous rock face.’
- ‘I was wandering one day, and I just happened upon that little clearing.’
- ‘There, in a grassy, sunny clearing, sat an innocent little cottage.’
A system used by universities to fill the remaining available undergraduate places before the start of the academic year.
- ‘Universities you approach during clearing will ask for these.’
- ‘We're now into the university clearing season.’
- ‘Students going through clearing should make themselves available because admissions tutors will want to talk to them rather than their parents.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.