One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Show to be innocent.‘the spokesman released a statement attempting to clear his client's name’
- ‘A Manchester lawyer fighting to clear the name of a convicted murderer is hoping a breakthrough could be just around the corner.’
- ‘They are now working together as private detectives trying to clear the name of a handyman accused of stealing secret documents from the home of a rich family.’
- ‘He is now working to clear the name of a bus driver with multiple crashes to his name - all caused by someone else.’
- ‘Legalization will not only make it safer for users but it will clear the name of the estimated 600,000 Canadians who have been convicted of simple cannabis possession.’
- ‘He decided to confess to the scam to help clear the name of another driving instructor and school teacher who is being investigated by police.’
- ‘A book is to be written which it is hoped will clear the name of a player thought to be involved in one of football's biggest scams.’
- ‘But families still fight for years to clear the name of loved ones who were put to death.’
- ‘For 13 years she has campaigned to clear the name of her grandfather who was shot for cowardice during the First World War.’
- ‘I wish to encourage you in your efforts to get at the real facts in this case and help clear the name of a very fine, upstanding and humanitarian man.’
- ‘And the findings will try to clear the name of the warship's commander whose career was ruined by a subsequent court martial.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.