One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-movement weightlifting exercise in which a weight is raised above the head following an initial lift to shoulder level.
- ‘In weight-lifting, it recruits muscles that assist in the clean and jerk and the deadlift.’
- ‘These dual actions allow you to move your upper body in a straight, upward pathway, which is critical in the deadlift and squat in powerlifting, and the snatch and the clean and jerk in weightlifting.’
- ‘At the 1998 junior world championships there was little to suggest he would one day dominate the sport after finishing sixth in the snatch and failing to make a lift in the clean and jerk.’
- ‘For instance, you could switch out the push-press for the clean and jerk or the high pull for the snatch.’
- ‘Try these versions of the snatch and the clean and jerk done on an exercise ball (or while seated on a bench).’
- ‘Olympic weightlifting consists of two lifts: The snatch and the clean and jerk.’
- ‘When I was competing, I would have preferred to have the snatch and clean and jerk and not the press as competitive lifts, and to have had a weight class around 230.’
- ‘In the snatch and clean and jerk, the back extension improves the initial stages of lifting the weight and maintaining the low-back arch.’
- ‘He finished outside of the medals, failing to complete a lift in the clean and jerk for the first time in his career.’
- ‘Lisa proved her doubters wrong when she snatched 80 kg and hoisted 105 kg in clean and jerk for a total lift of 185 kg.’
- ‘The 21 year old lifted 126 kilograms in the clean and jerk - a kilogram above her previous mark - after a 101-kilogram heave in the snatch, also a SEA Games record.’
- ‘They're also used in the deadlift and squat events in powerlifting, and in the snatch and clean and jerk in weightlifting.’
- ‘This type of grip offers the most versatility and mobility of the wrist during the clean and jerk and snatch moves.’
- ‘The first Indian woman to win an Olympic medal is confident that if she lifts 137 kg in clean and jerk and around 110 kg in snatch, she will have a bright chance of vying for a medal.’
- ‘He messed up the next stage of the lift, the clean and jerk, and dashed his hopes for the overall award.’
- ‘At age 19, Stephan weighed 205 pounds and could curl 215, military press 260, and clean and jerk 325 pounds.’
- ‘‘In the 122.5 clean and jerk, it was the first time I had ever got under it,’ she said.’
- ‘Her personal best is 65 kg in the snatch and 80 kg in the clean and jerk.’
- ‘The 19-year-old lifted a record 122.5kg in the snatch before raising the clean and jerk record to 152.5kg.’
- ‘He follows a regular lifting regimen but adds lifts such as the clean and jerk to shock his system and get him ready for games.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.