One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-movement weightlifting exercise in which a weight is raised above the head following an initial lift to shoulder level.
- ‘The 21 year old lifted 126 kilograms in the clean and jerk - a kilogram above her previous mark - after a 101-kilogram heave in the snatch, also a SEA Games record.’
- ‘At age 19, Stephan weighed 205 pounds and could curl 215, military press 260, and clean and jerk 325 pounds.’
- ‘‘In the 122.5 clean and jerk, it was the first time I had ever got under it,’ she said.’
- ‘They're also used in the deadlift and squat events in powerlifting, and in the snatch and clean and jerk in weightlifting.’
- ‘In weight-lifting, it recruits muscles that assist in the clean and jerk and the deadlift.’
- ‘He follows a regular lifting regimen but adds lifts such as the clean and jerk to shock his system and get him ready for games.’
- ‘Lisa proved her doubters wrong when she snatched 80 kg and hoisted 105 kg in clean and jerk for a total lift of 185 kg.’
- ‘Try these versions of the snatch and the clean and jerk done on an exercise ball (or while seated on a bench).’
- ‘At the 1998 junior world championships there was little to suggest he would one day dominate the sport after finishing sixth in the snatch and failing to make a lift in the clean and jerk.’
- ‘He messed up the next stage of the lift, the clean and jerk, and dashed his hopes for the overall award.’
- ‘For instance, you could switch out the push-press for the clean and jerk or the high pull for the snatch.’
- ‘These dual actions allow you to move your upper body in a straight, upward pathway, which is critical in the deadlift and squat in powerlifting, and the snatch and the clean and jerk in weightlifting.’
- ‘Olympic weightlifting consists of two lifts: The snatch and the clean and jerk.’
- ‘Her personal best is 65 kg in the snatch and 80 kg in the clean and jerk.’
- ‘In the snatch and clean and jerk, the back extension improves the initial stages of lifting the weight and maintaining the low-back arch.’
- ‘He finished outside of the medals, failing to complete a lift in the clean and jerk for the first time in his career.’
- ‘When I was competing, I would have preferred to have the snatch and clean and jerk and not the press as competitive lifts, and to have had a weight class around 230.’
- ‘The first Indian woman to win an Olympic medal is confident that if she lifts 137 kg in clean and jerk and around 110 kg in snatch, she will have a bright chance of vying for a medal.’
- ‘This type of grip offers the most versatility and mobility of the wrist during the clean and jerk and snatch moves.’
- ‘The 19-year-old lifted a record 122.5kg in the snatch before raising the clean and jerk record to 152.5kg.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.