One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tennis court with a surface of hardened clay.‘she began playing on a clay court and retired as the greatest women's tennis champion of all time’
- ‘Tennis Australia have spent a small fortune on laying the clay court on the assumption that it would be hosting two of the top players in the world.’
- ‘Only about 2,000 fans watched the final, played on an indoor clay court.’
- ‘The clay court is a surface that you can play on all the year round.’
- ‘The governors of the sport have homogenised court surfaces—even Wimbledon plays like a fast clay court these days—so everyone plays the same game the same way.’
- ‘She received a warning from the umpire after using foul language and smashing her racket on the clay court.’
- ‘She double-faulted three times and saw her long ground strokes carry out of bounds on the clay court.’
- ‘"I think that was one of the most inspired performances Greg has ever had on a clay court," Bates said.’
- ‘My game is coming together and I'm adjusting to the European clay court.’
- ‘Azarenka was leading 6-2, 4-4 when the German stepped awkwardly and twisted her right ankle on the indoor red clay court.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.