One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a government) recover money disbursed in the form of an allowance or benefit, typically by taxation.
- ‘The government had promised the lump sum would never push an individual into a higher tax bracket, which could result in 40% of the payment being clawed back.’
- ‘But again this will be clawed back sharply for all but the lowest earners.’
- ‘Tax cuts can be clawed back, but spending can't so easily.’
- ‘Councillors are now demanding to know why the massive overpayments of housing and council tax benefits have occurred and why only a third of the money has been clawed back by the council.’
- ‘The silence from high-street tills could prove deafening as that cash is clawed back.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.