One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- technical term for collarbone
- ‘When all support is disrupted or detached, the distal clavicle loses all ligamentous connection, allowing it to rise superiorly.’
- ‘During surgery, we observed partial or complete detachment of the trapezoid and deltoid muscles from the lateral clavicle in all patients.’
- ‘The shoulder girdle is formed by the scapulae (shoulder blades) and clavicles (collar bones).’
- ‘The clavicle and scapula together form the shoulder girdle.’
- ‘There is nothing you can do to alter your clavicles or hip bones, so you need to focus on widening your delts and upper lats.’
Early 17th century: from Latin clavicula ‘small key’, diminutive of clavis (because of its shape).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.