A constituent fragment of a clastic rock.
- ‘The conglomerates contain a mixture of basement-derived clasts and large Upper Permian limestone clasts.’
- ‘The siltstones contain poorly sorted angular fragments of quartz, and angular clasts and cleavage fragments of plagioclase and alkali feldspar.’
- ‘Geochemical analyses of these clasts show that the eruption tapped two chemically distinct rhyolitic magmas.’
- ‘This is substantiated by the presence of eroded Permian carbonate clasts.’
- ‘The clasts in volcaniclastic rocks may range from fine ash to bombs and enormous blocks.’
Mid 20th century: back-formation from clastic.