Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Schoolwork that is done in class.
- ‘Because the textbooks often were too hard, the students had difficulty completing their classwork.’
- ‘The answer probably lies in the ratio of coursework to observed classwork, with the resultant examinations.’
- ‘The most basic way of integrating Internet usage into classwork or homework is to ask students to find information.’
- ‘A unique basketball project linking primary school classwork has been declared a success following a pilot scheme funded by £ 30,000 of Lottery money.’
- ‘I didn't have any friends, I wouldn't participate in class, my classwork was terrible, and lots of other things.’
- ‘All pieces of written work should have a date, whether the piece is classwork or prep and the title neatly underlined with a ruler.’
- ‘With a mix of students in the college, upper-year students could help lower-year students with classwork or other aspects of student life.’
- ‘The scheme was launched in September and involves pupils being rewarded for good classwork, behaviour and citizenship.’
- ‘To many educators, the remedy for poor classroom performance is an enormous amount of ditto homework sheets that mimic classwork.’
- ‘Very practically, homework allows more ground to be covered and enables classwork to concentrate on activities that require the presence of the teacher.’
- ‘Some eight students appeared to be doing classwork or homework without observed teacher supervision, assistance or involvement.’
- ‘The fancy items last about a week or a month at school before the routine of classwork and homework takes over.’
- ‘Extra points can be gained for outstanding pieces of classwork.’
- ‘Under no circumstances is it acceptable for you to communicate with your teacher in any way except about classwork.’
- ‘Extracurricular activities, such as Drama Club and the School Play can benefit classwork and enable students to enhance their skills.’
- ‘Recruited by more than 30 colleges, Robertson sought a school that would allow him to alternate his business-administration classwork with on-the-job training.’
- ‘Now, the buddies are sitting on the students desks, where they provide inspiration for classwork, but they will eventually make their way home.’
- ‘In Marks' study of 49 urban high school students, those who perceived classwork to be authentic and their teachers to be supportive showed enhanced engagement in school.’
- ‘However, homework is often insufficiently linked to classwork and is set inconsistently across classes.’
- ‘Where homework is well used, teachers ensure that it is integrated with, reinforces and capitalises on classwork.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.