Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
postpositive Used in the classification of Italian wines to designate a wine produced in the region from which the type takes its name.‘Chianti Classico’
- ‘We ordered a bottle of white wine, an Orvieto Classico, which at £9.95 was pricier than the house white, but worth the extra couple of quid.’
- ‘To accompany these we drank a Barolo Classico 2000, which was decanted at the table.’
- ‘A waitress finally took our order and then we waited an age for a bottle of Verdicchio Classico at €15.’
- ‘We stuck with the Chianti Classico, which went well with all our pasta dishes.’
- ‘But I also like the idea of heading straight for a Chianti Classico, made in the province of Tuscany from Sangiovese grapes.’
- ‘Sensing a losing battle, they began to study maps and guidebooks over a shared bottle of Chianti Classico.’
- ‘Soave Classico and Valpolicella Classico come from the superior hillside vineyards and are usually far removed from the expressionless versions made from grapes grown on the valley floor.’
- ‘It looked just like Orvieto Classico and tasted of nearly nothing.’
- ‘Once these standards are met, the wine can be called Chianti Classico, and wear the seal of the Consortium.’
- ‘When Tuscany was being carved up everyone wanted to be in the Chianti or Chianti Classico region, as this was the best selling and most well regarded of Italian wines.’
- ‘To the northwest of the city is the Valpolicella Classico zone where most of the best vineyards are located.’
- ‘The Chianti Classico wines have led the trend in richer and better-balanced wines.’
- ‘Oils produced in the Chianti Classico region of Tuscany have a new label of distinction: a black rooster, also seen on wine labels.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.