One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large grayish rail of American coastal marshes. It has a distinctive clattering rattlelike call.
- ‘The California clapper rail is a secretive marsh bird with a distinctive call.’
- ‘Birders can watch migratory species such as endangered clapper rails, dowitchers, and American avocets from the platform at Elsie Roemer Bird Sanctuary.’
- ‘Our biologists are working with Mexican and American partners now to recover the light-footed clapper rail, the Quino checkerspot butterfly, the ocelot, and many other species.’
- ‘The secretive California clapper rail, one of the original birds on the federal endangered species list with a current population of only 600, relies on salt marshes for its habitat.’
- ‘At present, so much water is sucked from the Colorado that the river often fails to reach the Sea of Cortez, dooming species like the endangered desert pupfish and the Yuma clapper rail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.