One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flattened leaflike stem.
- ‘For instance, the Aztecs prized the rich red color extracted from the dried bodies of insects that were raised on cladodes (leaf-like branches) of many species of prickly-pear cacti.’
- ‘In cacti, relative capacitance of the cladode parenchyma is 1.04 MPa - 1, with large amounts of mucilage-associated solutes which may aid their function as an apoplastic capacitor.’
- ‘At the time of anthesis, 80 flowers growing on 16 terminal cladodes (five flowers per cladode, with all additional flowers removed) were marked for growth measurements (the ‘control’).’
- ‘Experiments reported herein focused on cladodes of O. ficusindica and stem segments of O. parryi var. parryi (cylindropuntia).’
- ‘Opuntia robusta var. robusta is a perennial shrubby cactus with a poorly defined trunk made up of thick, orbicular, bluish-green cladodes.’
Late 19th century: from Greek kladōdēs ‘with many shoots’, from klados ‘shoot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.