One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A war between citizens of the same country.
- ‘All of the national and religious communities have been victimized by the civil wars.’
- ‘This rivalry had involved civil wars, peasant uprisings, and religious strife of every description.’
- ‘It has lasted for a long time, through depressions, recessions, slumps, civil wars and world wars.’
- ‘It could also lay the basis for civil wars, tension between the US and European powers and future military intervention.’
- ‘Independence from Spain in 1816 led to a succession of civil wars during the nineteenth century.’
- ‘Refugees from civil wars all over the world also used this border to enter Europe.’
- ‘The scene drives home as nothing else the ugly ironies that make civil wars the cruelest.’
- ‘In the very process of winning the civil war, the regime was inwardly corrupted.’
- ‘This acted as the trigger for a series of civil wars, as reactionaries and progressives battled both with the French and each other.’
- ‘Children tend to be used heavily as soldiers during prolonged civil wars; and such civil wars abound at present.’
- ‘The film ends with the couple driven apart by civil war, world war and dictatorship.’
- ‘During the past 15 years, the number of wars and civil wars has not diminished.’
- ‘We can tell that they've had civil war after civil war and that much of their population is unemployed.’
- ‘They are fleeing persecution, civil wars and grinding deprivation.’
- ‘And as you know, almost all the wars are civil wars, so that's how we devote our time.’
- ‘Its aim would be to stop wars and civil wars which are preventing development in parts of the continent.’
- ‘This has fuelled the civil war, which has left two and a half million people dead and which still rages today.’
- ‘The people here were already in difficulty due to the civil war that had raged for nearly 20 years.’
- ‘The men moving the chess pieces are hurling millions of people into poverty, with tens of thousands forced to flee from numerous civil wars.’
- ‘The programme's central claim is that the civil war was really a war about religion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.