One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A war between citizens of the same country.
- ‘Its aim would be to stop wars and civil wars which are preventing development in parts of the continent.’
- ‘It has lasted for a long time, through depressions, recessions, slumps, civil wars and world wars.’
- ‘The programme's central claim is that the civil war was really a war about religion.’
- ‘The men moving the chess pieces are hurling millions of people into poverty, with tens of thousands forced to flee from numerous civil wars.’
- ‘Independence from Spain in 1816 led to a succession of civil wars during the nineteenth century.’
- ‘All of the national and religious communities have been victimized by the civil wars.’
- ‘We can tell that they've had civil war after civil war and that much of their population is unemployed.’
- ‘Refugees from civil wars all over the world also used this border to enter Europe.’
- ‘And as you know, almost all the wars are civil wars, so that's how we devote our time.’
- ‘The people here were already in difficulty due to the civil war that had raged for nearly 20 years.’
- ‘The film ends with the couple driven apart by civil war, world war and dictatorship.’
- ‘This has fuelled the civil war, which has left two and a half million people dead and which still rages today.’
- ‘This rivalry had involved civil wars, peasant uprisings, and religious strife of every description.’
- ‘This acted as the trigger for a series of civil wars, as reactionaries and progressives battled both with the French and each other.’
- ‘During the past 15 years, the number of wars and civil wars has not diminished.’
- ‘Children tend to be used heavily as soldiers during prolonged civil wars; and such civil wars abound at present.’
- ‘The scene drives home as nothing else the ugly ironies that make civil wars the cruelest.’
- ‘They are fleeing persecution, civil wars and grinding deprivation.’
- ‘In the very process of winning the civil war, the regime was inwardly corrupted.’
- ‘It could also lay the basis for civil wars, tension between the US and European powers and future military intervention.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.