One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A legally recognized union of a same-sex couple, with rights similar to those of marriage.
- ‘Marriage and civil unions simply make this consent explicit and concrete.’
- ‘The judge who heard their petition decided that he could recognize their civil union.’
- ‘To the extent that civil unions will duplicate marriage, then extending that privilege is clearly unnecessary.’
- ‘Everyone who supported civil unions but not marriage is caught by your example.’
- ‘It is worth remembering that we didn't get civil unions by asking for civil unions.’
- ‘Heterosexual couples wishing to commit to each other will have two options: marriage or a civil union.’
- ‘The law recognizes the civil union of gay couples but does not term the union a marriage.’
- ‘Given that lengthy list, I ask how anyone can possibly say that civil unions are not same-sex marriages.’
- ‘The Federal Marriage Amendment would not block a state from recognizing civil unions.’
- ‘Support for civil unions and same-sex marriage has been steadily dropping in polls.’
- ‘A civil union and a marriage will be synonymous in law; there will be no difference.’
- ‘The state already has a statute banning recognition of same-sex marriages and civil unions.’
- ‘We should acknowledge that marriage, civil unions, and de facto relationships are different.’
- ‘They have happily cited the European countries that have provided for civil unions and for marriage.’
- ‘The report says the purpose of the bill is to establish civil unions for different and same sex couples.’
- ‘The civil union law is expressly designed to extend that same protection to same-sex couples.’
- ‘Not being a church-goer, I don't see any advantage marriage has over a civil union.’
- ‘It lost the cause on the civil union legislation, but it stuck by the strategy.’
- ‘The status of civil unions outside of Vermont is very much an open question.’
- ‘If that is the case, then there certainly aren't enough votes to pass civil unions legislation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.