One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marriage solemnized as a civil contract without religious ceremony.
- ‘So, if we accept that religion doesn't govern civil marriage and that civil marriage changes over time, we are left with a more nebulous worry.’
- ‘The 1836 Marriage Act allowed for civil marriages in England for the first time, with the exemption of the royal family.’
- ‘Around 20 couples have already expressed an interest in the ceremonies which will cost the same as civil marriages.’
- ‘Provisions in the Act govern civil marriages and require no religious ritual or ceremony of any kind.’
- ‘If they oppose civil marriage as an institution, they wouldn't be sinning by entering into the religious marriage but not the civil marriage.’
- ‘It's a reform that will certainly please couples from the county area, who wish to have a civil marriage ceremony.’
- ‘Until 1982, all marriages occurred in churches, but civil marriages have been legal since that time.’
- ‘They conveniently ignore the fact that there is a distinct difference between religious and civil marriages and that California recognizes common-law relationships.’
- ‘A law of 1874 required Catholic couples to have a civil marriage as well as a church ceremony.’
- ‘In addition to the civil marriage ceremony, some couples now go to a mosque to get married according to Islamic law.’
- ‘As the nation confronts these First Amendment issues, it will help to keep in mind that civil marriage and religious marriage are two different things.’
- ‘Legal objections centred on the Marriages Act of 1949, which updated the 1836 Marriage Act under which civil marriages were first allowed.’
- ‘There are three types of marriage in Nigeria today: religious marriage, civil marriage, and traditional marriage.’
- ‘In June, the Scottish Marriage Act 2002 scrapped the restriction of civil marriages to register offices, allowing councils to approve other sites for ceremonies, including supermarkets.’
- ‘Also couples already married as per religious rites under their personal law may, if they so want, turn their pre-existing marriage into a civil marriage by registering it under the Act.’
- ‘Three different types of marital union include church marriages, civil marriages, and consensual or common-law unions.’
- ‘Instead, couples who want to end their marriage request an annulment of the civil marriage, under the pretext that a procedural error was made during the civil marriage ceremony.’
- ‘‘A civil marriage service is often the only ceremony marking the wedding,’ he said.’
- ‘There were a total of 592 church marriages recorded in the county as opposed to 126 civil marriages.’
- ‘If the parties intend a civil marriage, then notice of the marriage must be posted for 15 days at the Magistrate's Court.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.